Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Paintings 3, 4 and 5

Almost finished the five paintings.

Painting 3:

Although I like how all of these paintings work individually and as a quilt-like grouping, I think my favourite in terms of realism, style and depth. My focus was on how I could use colour blocking and layering and texture to improve the perception of depth. The background was Golden's Prussian Blue and slowly built up to the strokes of white, similar to Lawren Harris "Snow II" 1915. This one reflects as I used a Iridescent Pearl (Fine) Golden paint in the bark. It reminds me a little of Gustav Klimt's use of gold to enhance his paintings.















Pa
inting 4 and 5 - The trees were painted at the same time so that the bark and feeling would repeat. Similar use of shadows.

Painting 4:



In 4, I used Prussian Blue as the undercoat and Dioxazine Purple for
5.





















Painting 5:


Painting 5 is still quite dark and incomplete.





















After the fifth one is finished, I'm going to build a stretcher that is the same size as three of them side by side to insert after the first two. Originally I was thinking it would be another 3x4' but I think that the width of three panels is wide enough. I like the idea of continuing with similar trees to 4 and 5 to bring it all together.


Below, I have included a digital sketch of what the pieces will look like including the photo I will most likely use for the centerpiece. The frames will be wooden and not overlap the paintings. They will be stained either a natural colour or blue.


















dreaming of the wilderness.

Danielle




2 comments:

  1. wonderful! i am starting to feel the itch to paint again... i quite like the elongated format of each panel, i would even be happy with each panel as a stand-alaone piece. long narrow subject, long narrow canvas... form fitting function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle GardnerMay 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM

    The idea is that the panels are stand alone pieces. People will be able to buy as many or as few as they wish. The pieces are to conveniently fit into niches that nothing else fits in their homes...like key-hole windows.

    ReplyDelete